Bar and Court Admissions
- State Court: California
- U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals: Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court: Northern District of California; Central District of California
- Boalt Hall School of Law, Berkeley, J.D., Environmental Specialization Certificate, 2001; Prosser Prize in Torts; Berkeley Women's Law Journal, Article Editor
- University of California, Berkeley, B.A. Environmental Science, high honors, 1995
Judith A. Zahid
Judith A. Zahid is a commercial litigator focusing on antitrust and complex litigation and a Managing Partner of Zelle Hofmann’s San Francisco office.
Judith has substantial experience representing clients pursuing high-stakes price-fixing and monopolization claims arising out of global markets. Such representative plaintiff matters include serving on the lead counsel team for In re TFT-LCD (Flat Panel) Antitrust Litigation (MDL No. 1827)—which culminated in a record-breaking $1.082 billion all-cash settlement for the end-user plaintiffs, in one of the nation’s largest antitrust cartel cases.
On the defense side, Judith has represented companies in the energy and retail markets against price-discrimination claims, leading to favorable and cost-effective resolutions for her clients.
Judith’s professional experience mirrors what the most cutting-edge antitrust cases look like today: international in scope, grounded in extensive economic analysis and technology-intensive discovery, and defined by the often-novel application of antitrust to parties and markets in an increasingly interconnected global economy. Her expertise specifically includes analyzing and framing complex legal theories, working closely with testifying economic and industry experts, defeating Daubert attacks, navigating issues involving international parties, and efficiently marshalling terabytes of electronic discovery. With a demonstrated ability to effectively coordinate the prosecution of complex antitrust class actions, the multidistrict litigation court in In re Lithium Ion Batteries Antitrust Litigation (MDL No. 2420) recently appointed Judith as interim liaison counsel for the direct-purchaser plaintiffs.
Recognized by the American Bar Association Antitrust Section, Judith was selected to serve on the International Civil Redress Task Force, and was then appointed Vice Chair of the ABA’s Civil Redress Committee. Judith also serves as Chair of the Antitrust Section of the Bar Association of San Francisco.
Articles & Presentations
"Depositions: Tips and Strategy for Antitrust Litigators," ABA Trial Practice Committee Program, June 25, 2014, panelist
"Finding Peace When Settling U.S. and EU Price-Fixing Claims," Competition Law360, April 28, 2014, co-author
"Corporations & Cartels: When Should You Be A Plaintiff?", 62nd ABA Section of Antitrust Law Spring Meeting, March 26-28, 2014, moderator
"Where To Bring Damages Claims In EU Int’l Cartel Cases?" Competition Law360, February 28, 2014, co-author
"Who Can Make the Claim? The Who, What, and Where of International Private Antitrust Actions," Antitrust Section of the American Bar Association, February 13, 2014, moderator
"Unique Discovery Challenges In International Cartel Cases," Competition Law360, January 31, 2014, co-author
"Survival of the Fittest: Thriving in a Culture of Change,” Women in Law Empowerment Forum (WILEF), March 20, 2013, moderator
"Hypothetical in Action – Class Certification, FTAIA and CAFA," CLE International Group’s Antitrust Conference, February 22, 2013, co-presenter
"Selecting and Working with Experts in Antitrust," Antitrust Section of the American Bar Association, January 14, 2013, co-presenter
"Antitrust & Price-Fixing Attorneys Panel," Hastings Law Trial Association, October 29, 2012, panelist
"Complex Case Management: An In-Depth Survey of Best Practices for Managing Antitrust Class Actions," Women Antitrust Plaintiffs' Attorneys annual conference, October 12, 2012, panelist
"Pre-complaint activities," American Antitrust Institute's "Private Enforcement of Antitrust Law in the United States: A Handbook," September 2012, chapter co-author
"A Plaintiff and Defense Lawyer’s How To on Working With Economists in Antitrust Cases," Antitrust Section of the Bar Association of San Francisco, July 16, 2012, co-presenter
The Law of Pricing, Including Resale Price Maintenance in California After Leegin, State Bar of California's 21st Annual Golden State Antitrust and Unfair Competition Law Institute, October 27, 2011, presenter
"Pre-claim Activities," The American Antitrust Institute’s International Handbook on Private Enforcement of Competition Law, December 2010, chapter co-author
"CAFA From a Plaintiff Lawyer's Perspective," ABA Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section's Business Litigation Committee Newsletter (Fall 2006), co-author (C. Corbitt)
- American Bar Association, Antitrust Section, Civil Redress Committee, Vice-Chair
- Bar Association of San Francisco, Antitrust Section, Chair
- California Bar Association, Antitrust and Unfair Competition Law Section, Member
- Women in Law Empowerment Forum (WILEF), National Advisory Board Member
- Women Antitrust Plaintiffs’ Attorneys (WAPA)
Judith was named a Northern California "Rising Star" for 2009, 2010 and 2011 (Antitrust Litigation) by San Francisco magazine. She was named a "Super Lawyer" in antitrust litigation, class action/mass torts and business litigation for 2012, 2013 and 2014 by San Francisco magazine. She was also named among the Top 50 Women Northern California "Super Lawyers" for 2014.
The Legal 500 has recognized Judith multiple times in the antitrust class action field as "one to watch" (2012), an “up-and-comer,” “great case organizer and determined advocate” (2013), and a "first-rate case manager," "up-and-comer who does much of the actual work needed in big cartel cases" (2014).
- The Legal 500 Ranks Zelle Hofmann Among Top Antitrust Law Firms for the Sixth Consecutive Year
- Zelle Hofmann Attorneys Receive Recognition at American Antitrust Institute Awards
- Zelle Hofmann Attorneys Named Among 2013 Minnesota and Northern California “Super Lawyers” and “Rising Stars”
- Zelle Hofmann Announces Largest-Ever All-Cash Antitrust Consumer Class Settlements, Totaling $1.082 Billion
- Zelle Hofmann Attorneys Named Among 2012 “Super Lawyers” and “Rising Stars”
- The Legal 500 Ranks Zelle Hofmann Among Top Antitrust Firms for the Fourth Consecutive Year
- Zelle Hofmann Attorneys Obtain Preliminary Approval of $539 Million In LCD Class Action Settlements
- Zelle Hofmann Attorneys Announce Largest All-Cash Indirect-Purchaser Consumer Settlements in LCD Antitrust Case
- Judith Zahid Named Chair of the Bar Association of San Francisco's Antitrust Section
- Zelle Hofmann Attorneys Defeat Antitrust Defense Based on Foreign Conduct
- Judith Zahid Selected to Serve on ABA Section of Antitrust Law's International Civil Redress Task Force
- Zelle Hofmann Attorneys Named 2011 "Super Lawyers" and "Rising Stars"
- Zelle Hofmann Selected to Receive the 2011 Minnesota Women Lawyers’ Leadership Award
- Zelle Hofmann Obtains Summary Judgment in Pet Food Express Ltd. Breach of Contract Dispute
- Judith Zahid Named to Women in Law Empowerment Forum Board
- Zelle Hofmann Attorneys Defeat Summary Judgment Motion On "Secret Rebate" Counterclaim
- Court Orders Flash Memory Defendants to Disclose International Sales Data in Antitrust Action