Zelle Hofmann attorneys have extensive experience in both cutting edge and more traditional areas of environmental law, both domestically and internationally. In addition, our insurance expertise extends to environmental coverage disputes. While the firm’s general focus is on litigation, in this area we also have outstanding environmental attorneys who focus on helping our clients understand emerging enforcement and compliance issues, both nationally and internationally, in order to minimize exposure and manage risk. Zelle Hofmann attorneys have served on leadership committees and other executive committees in international environmental organizations and in public interest environmental law firms, have written extensively in the areas of environmental law and compliance, and regularly teach courses in environmental law as well as corporate compliance with environmental law requirements, especially in the emerging area of compliance with respect to climate change, including cap and trade. Our attorneys have counseled and represented corporations, governments and insurance companies in disputes, negotiations, as well as in compliance and energy conservation initiatives.
In the more traditional areas of environmental law, the firm’s expertise include litigation matters, administrative proceedings, insurance disputes and counseling with respect to air quality, water quality, solid and hazardous wastes, toxic chemicals, acid rain and acid mine drainage, claims, groundwater contamination, underground storage tanks, corrective action and remedial action plans, contribution, and agency enforcement actions.
Zelle Hofmann’s managing partner in Washington, DC, Durwood Zaelke, is an internationally recognized leader in environmental law. Mr. Zaelke is the Director of the International Environmental Law Program at the American University Law School, and also has taught at Yale Law School, Duke Law School, and Johns Hopkins. He co-founded the Program on Governance for Sustainable Development at the University of California. In 1989, Mr. Zaelke founded the Center for International Environmental Law (CIEL), a premier public interest international environmental firm, with offices in Washington, DC and Geneva. Mr. Zaelke is co-author of the leading law school textbook entitled International Environmental Law & Policy, which has been used in more than 115 universities around the world.
Articles & Presentations
- Only A Matter of Time – Prepare For Geomagnetic Storms
- Insurers and Regional Cap-and-Trade Programs: Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative
- Reducing Abrupt Climate Change Risk Using the Montreal Protocol and Other Regulatory Actions to Complement Cuts in CO2 Emissions
- Ninth Circuit Rules Flood Exclusion Unambiguously Bars Coverage for Storm Surge Damage From Hurricane Katrina
- Strengthening the Montreal Protocol: Insurance Against Abrupt Climate Change
- Making Law Work: Environmental Compliance & Sustainable Development
- Industry Genius: Inventions and People Protecting the Climate and Fragile Ozone Layer
- Mold Manual - A Basic Primer For Handling Mold Claims